Southridge House, Eastern Creek
Reinstatement, conservation and adaptive reuse of the original 1859 four room residential cottage to a café. Works involved significant restoration of foundations, timber floor, walls, timber ceilings, opening wrap around veranda and building façade. The Southridge house is now the centre piece of Southridge Plaza that services an industrial business park in Sydney’s West.
The house has local historical significance. Originally built in 1859, Southridge House was then called Herguilliers by owner at the time, early French migrant Moise Roussel. It was renamed Southridge in 1919 by Frederick Bigg, whose family raised cattle and pigs on the site. The estate was sold to Penfolds Winery in 1950 and the winemaker lived in the house. Today, Southridge House is the centrepiece of Southridge Plaza and offers local workers a convenient retail hub.